Are individual Feldenkrais lessons like a massage?
Yes and no.
How Functional Integration is like a massage:
- The client needs to make an appointment
- The client describes any problem areas
- The client discloses any previous injuries
- The lesson is at the client’s own personal risk
- The client may lie on a massage table
- It can be relaxing
How Functional Integration is not like a massage:
- The client is clothed at all times (the shoes and belt are usually removed by the client for lesson purposes)
- The client participates in the movements by being aware of them during the lesson
- The client must report any pain or discomfort, so that the practitioner can avoid any damage to the client
- It may be relaxing at times and surprising at others